NAYMOTE Partners for Democratic Development
Vacancy Announcement (12 Positions)
Community Justice Advisors (CJAs)
Liberia – Access to Justice: Community Justice Advisor Project
Background – Naymote Partners for Democratic Development has been awarded a one-year grant by the Carter Center, to implement its Rule of Law/Access to Justice Program. The program will be implemented through Community Justice Advisors (non-lawyers) in Montserrado and Bong Counties. The goal of the project is to enhance access to justice for citizens including women and girls to advance good governance and trust through accountability, transparency, and inclusive access to information, justice, and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Community Justice Advisors (CJAs) will provide free legal information, community-based justice services and dispute resolution services to citizens in Montserrado and Bong Counties. CJAs will also create awareness about citizen’s legal rights, providing legal assistance through advice, alternative dispute resolution, referral, and/or accompaniment. Therefore, the institution is seeking applications from 12 experienced, influential, and dedicated young Liberians to serve as Community Justice Advisors -CJAs (non-lawyers).
Position: Community Justice Advisors (CJAs)
Report to: Program Manager
Responsibilities of CJAs:
- Facilitate weekly free legal information and dispute resolution services to citizens in Montserrado and Bong counties,
- Create awareness about citizen’s legal rights (especially property rights and land rights) and provide legal assistance through advice, alternative dispute resolution, referral, and/or accompaniment in Montserrado and Bong counties.
- Participate in Carter Center sponsored radio programs on specific legal topics that support the rule of law and access to justice.
- Monitor court proceedings and issues at the local prisons in Montserrado and Bong counties.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with justice sector actors (law enforcement, criminal justice partners etc) and community leaders, and make referrals to the appropriate authorities for dispute and/or legal resolution or accompaniment.
- Mobilize and support the School Law and Justice Project within their project communities,
- Prepare updates, monthly and regular quarterly reports to assist NAYMOTE to track the progress of project components to ensure schedule and deadlines are being met,
- Perform any other related project tasks as the need arises.
Qualifications (skills and experience)
- The CJAs should have a strong understanding of Liberia’s criminal justice system including court, police, and prison.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Strong community organizing and grassroots leadership skills,
- Experienced in community-based or civil society works,
- Be a college student or university graduate. University graduate is an added advantage
- Previous experience working with justice sector actors/ institutions (law enforcement, criminal justice partners etc) working on a rule of law and access to justice program is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, including private sector, government officials, project staff, and/or donor
- Applicant must be resident of a project county (Bong/ Montserrado)
- Possess basic computer skills (Microsoft word, excel, PowerPoint etc)
- Applicant should have proven ability to independently produce narrative activities reports
Females are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submission of Application
Applicants are to submit an electronic copy or hard copy of their application package including: a letter of application, current resume, two passport size photos, two letters of recommendations (one from a university you are attending or graduated from, one from your community or institution you are affiliating with). Applicants are to provide 900 WORDS on how they understand: If you want peace work for Justice.
NOTE: Please be informed that only 12 applicants will be selected, 7 from Montserrado and 5 from Bong. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline for APPLICATION: Friday, January 22, 2021 at 5:00 PM
Email your application and supporting documents to email@example.com or send your package to the below addresses.
Naymote Partners for Democratic Development
Carver Mission Community, ELWA
Paynesville City-Liberia, West Africa
(+231) 886510479, 770510479, 0776476498
Naymote Partners for Democratic Development
Duala Community, Ganta Main Road
Gbarnga City, Liberia, West Africa
(+231) 770510479, 0777118406, 0776476498